Helllo! This recipe was SO requested by you guys when I posted my What I Ate for MindBodyGreen, and it is one of my all time faves. Traditionally, bread can be sort of an ugh process because there’s yeast involve, resting the dough, kneading, etc. This bread avoids all of that and is such a simple, delicious way to use up old bananas. This is grain, gluten, dairy, and soy free and is autoimmune friendly.
GRAIN FREE ALMOND BUTTER BANANA BREAD
3 large very ripe, brown bananas
1 ½ cups raw almond butter
3 large organic eggs
1 T vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
Optional: 2T grade B maple syrup ** I make this without because the bananas are plenty sweet for me, but if you prefer a little more sweetness or the smoky depth of flavor that maple provides, try including it!
Optional: ¼ cup chopped macadamias or walnuts if you like a little crunch in your bread. I find the almond butter to provide enough nuttiness for me, but you can definitely include chopped nuts.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a standard loaf pan with butter or coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they become a liquid paste.
- To the bananas, add the almond butter, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup (if using), walnuts (if using), cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well with a spoon, whisk, or hand mixer until well combined.
- Add the baking soda to the bowl and pour the vinegar directly on top of the baking soda. When you see it fizz up, fold the soda and vinegar gently into the batter to lighten it up. This step is important because it adds fluffiness.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and topped with additional chopped nuts (if using).
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven. When toothpick comes out clean, you’re good to go.
Enjoy!! Store the loaf in the refrigerator for longer life.